Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

The White Queen

I have been a fan of Phillipa Gregory's novels for a long time and just watched a mini series based on 3 of her books.



The amazon review describes the story as :

Based on Philippa Gregory's series of best-selling novels, "The Cousins War.”

Set against the backdrop of England's Wars of the Roses during the 15th century, the story revolves around women caught up in the ongoing conflict for the throne. They are some of the most ruthless players in history and will stop at nothing to support their own causes and those of the ones they love. “The White Queen” will be told through the stories of three equally driven women -- Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and Anne Neville -- in their quest for power as they manipulate behind the scenes of history.


I was a bit nervous about watching this but it turns out that it's a BBC production so of course it was wonderful. I hadn't read the books and wasn't that familiar with this period of English history. I knew enough that certain key events were "spoiled" but in no way did it actually spoil things for me. Seeing these three women doing everything in their power to gain control of the English throne is very compelling viewing.

      

3 comments:

  1. I've read her books but did not know about the film! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched the series yet, but I love the books! I need to get around toit.

    -- Alex at Brainy Girls Beauty

    ReplyDelete

The musings of a Town and Country friend...